AEW Full Gear Press Conference Notes: Tony Khan on PPV Purchase, Return of the Elite, Colt Cabana
Although there were no long speeches or brawls as part of AEW Full Gear’s post-event press conference, there was some interesting news coming out of it.
Arguably the biggest one, AEW’s upcoming pay-per-view has a date and location as Revolution will kick off San Francisco’s Chase Center on Sunday, March 5.
Tony Khan was also asked if CM Punk had anything to do with Colt Cabana not being on the roster, and Khan responded that Punk never asked for Cabana to be removed from the AEW locker room.
He justified using Cabana in Chris Jericho’s recent ROH title challenge and thought it made a lot of sense considering the other champions Jericho faced. He said Cabana was 2-0 in ROH so the booking made sense.
Khan said PPV buys tonight have been trending similarly to other shows this year and could be in the 140,000 range or better.
Khan was interrupted by new AEW World Champion MJF launching an expletive-filled promo, ripping at the media, fans and even Tony Khan for believing him over the past few weeks. He didn’t talk about William Regal’s work and said he’s on a plane tomorrow morning to a movie set and didn’t answer any questions. This is worth watching for intensity.
Here is some more news from Khan:
- Khan talked about the return of the elite.
- Khan still doesn’t have deals set for his London debut, but he’s working on it. He said it could be a really big revenue stream for the company and he used tonight’s revenue as a comparison/target.
- Khan said he considered different options with weekly ROH TV (specifically YouTube) but didn’t want to jump into something when there were so many options. “He deserves something better,” he said, still optimistic about getting a weekly ROH TV show.
- Khan said Elite never considered changing their names to The Wayward Sons. He thought using the Kansas song “Carry On My Wayward Son” was a great idea and compared the licensing talks to trade between the two sides when it came to negotiating. He’s very open to using the song again and it’s very likely that will happen.
- Khan said The Elite returned in previous roles and took on responsibilities such as the video game behind the scenes. He said it was great to be shown again on screen and behind the scenes.
- Khan has been in contact with Hangman Page and Adam Cole but has no update on their return. He also didn’t respond to Miro’s or Andrade’s situation, saying they have a deep roster and use a lot of different people.
- Khan has been in talks with NJPW about talent debuting at Wrestle Kingdom. He’s optimistic that there will be some presence there, but that the big stars won’t show up.
The best of the rest
- Highlights from the AEW Tag Team Champions acclaimed They were from a strange exchange with Will Washington from Fightful who is cousins with Swerve Strickland. Washington asked them about some quotes from one of his recent raps, and Max Custer said they wouldn’t go along with the media or plant stories in the media that they were as cool as Strickland. Custer said, “The American media is not my favourite.”
- to the palace Brett Baker put on her pregnancy during this show and said she was a star. She commended Khan for understanding her return process. She said she did some training in the UK and in California as well, but didn’t do heavy pushups until she was 100% clear. She did not answer how active she was. She said there was a lot of preparation and check-in today and everyone was great.
- The new AEW Women’s Champion Jimmy Hayter She talks about her friendship with Becker and that the best competitors are friends. “I’m totally open to wrestling her anytime. If she wants to, we can do it.”
- Jack Berry “Jungle Boy” A face that looks like a UFC fighter at a post-event press conference. He said the Luchasaurus chapter is over and that he expects it to end with Christian Cage when he recovers. Talk about having to adjust on the fly when jumping out of a cage due to the positioning of Luchasaurus. He said he heard shouts on Friday that the bout might go off PPV and got some extra sleep just in case. As a way to “stick with Luchasaurus”, he said he wore a similar Shawn Michaels-inspired outfit for the 1997 Hell In A Cell match because Luchasaurus has always said it was his favorite match.
#AEW #Full #Gear #Press #Conference #Notes #Tony #Khan #PPV #Purchase #Return #Elite #Colt #Cabana