Dedicated mum reveals the toys she would never let her kids own: ‘Call me the Grinch’
A ‘distorted’ funeral director talks about the toys she won’t let her kids play with, and now a TikTok app that raises her eyes is going viral.
Mortician and mom @lovee.miss.lauren garnered over 5.7 million views, 722k likes, and 10,000 comments when she uploaded a timely PSA to her account.
Now, much like TikTok went viral to reveal what can happen when you fall asleep with your bedroom door closed, Lauren’s video sends chills down the spines of parents the world over.
“I grew up practically in a funeral home, and like many funeral directors will say, child deaths are the hardest cases we’ve ever had to deal with,” Lauren explained.
“When you become a parent, you find yourself being more protective of your children, because you know what can happen in the blink of an eye.”
On her TikTok — and in a rapidly rising follow-up video — Lauren lists the following toys as banned inside her home:
Anything with a string
Playing with magnets
The American Academy of Pediatrics backs up Lauren’s warnings. According to its website, the water-absorbing gel beads can grow up to 200 times their size when they encounter water, creating dangerous blockages that may not be detected by x-rays if swallowed or placed in the ears.
Toys with string, rope, ribbons, or loose rope—particularly when the strings measure more than 12 inches, as with pull toys or jump ropes—can pose serious choking hazards to children.
Teething necklaces, which can cause choking or choking, should never be worn by little ones. Instead, parents should massage their baby’s gums or give them hard, non-icing rubber teething rings.
Button batteries—found in items such as music cards, games, remote controls, thermometers, hearing aids, calculators, bathroom scales, key fobs, cameras, and holiday decorations—can cause serious injury or death if swallowed.
Trampoline use has long been discouraged by the AAP, as serious injuries can occur even when the padding and attachments are in place.
Magnets, if swallowed, can trap tissue between them, leading to fatal injuries.
Fidget spinners, whether plastic or metal, often contain small parts and/or batteries that can be a choking hazard.
Swings, whether they are for toddlers or for toys, can get twisted around youngsters’ necks, leading to suffocation.
Lauren isn’t the only TikToker telling parents to remove dangerous toys from their homes. Reese’s Purpose took to the internet in 2020 to warn parents about deadly button batteries, and That Water Bead Lady has been working hard since 2017 to educate families about the dangers of water beads.
“I can’t imagine what I saw”
Thousands of TikTokers have responded to Lauren’s PSAs and shared their creepy experiences.
“I am an ER nurse and I have the saddest button battery story. People need to keep these away from kids and pets!” one user wrote.
“Answering 911 calls all day just kept me going! So many things can hurt little ones!” said another.
“As a former hospital chaplain… YUP,” the user agreed.
“I can see how true all of these are. I can’t imagine what I saw 🥺,” one user sympathized.
“This video could save many lives. Thank you for raising awareness of these things for our children,” another user wrote.
Parents wondering if their children’s toys are safe, or looking for potential Christmas gifts this holiday season, can refer to the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website or HealthyChildren.org.
In The Know is now available on Apple News – Follow us here!
A Mortician mom reveals the toys she would never let her kids have: “Call me the Grinch” debuted in In The Know.
More from In The Know:
TikTok shocker reveals what can happen when you sleep with your bedroom door closed: ‘An open new fear’
Mum begs parents to check home for deadly button batteries: ‘Let’s save our kids’
The 10 best deals from The North Face’s Black Friday sale
Kendra Scott’s Black Friday Sale Are Necklaces, Rings, Earrings And 30% More Off
#Dedicated #mum #reveals #toys #kids #Call #Grinch