Jay Leno has been released from the hospital 9 days after suffering severe burns from a gasoline fire: see photo
Grossman Burn Center
Jay Leno on his way home.
Previous The Tonight Show The 72-year-old host was released from the Grossman-Bern Center in the Los Angeles area on Monday, nine days after suffering “severe burns” in a gasoline fire in a garage. The center staff shared the photo of the smiling comedian with his many caregivers.
“Comedian Jay Leno was released from Grossman Burn Center today,” doctors shared in a statement obtained by People on Monday. “After a 10-day stay at the facility, Jay will receive follow-up care at the Grossman Burn Clinic outpatient for burns to his face, chest, and hands that he received during a fire in his garage. Jay would like everyone to know how grateful he is for the care he received, and very much appreciates all the well wishes. He looks forward to spending Thanksgiving with his family and friends and wishes everyone a great holiday.”
His physician, Dr. Peter Grossman, added in the statement, “I am pleased with Jay’s progress, and am optimistic he will make a full recovery.”
Leno underwent treatment that included surgical excision and a graft procedure, which removes unhealthy tissue in an effort to promote wound healing and reduce infection risk. With Leno’s burns, Grossman said, “a lot of skin thickness was injured” in some areas, so unhealthy tissue was removed.
Never miss a story – subscribe PEOPLE’s free daily newsletter To stay updated on the best that people have to offer, from juicy celebrity gossip to compelling human interest stories.
Rodin Ikenroth/Getty Jay Leno
Related: What to know about burn treatments and skin graft procedures from Jay Leno
Two days after the accident, Leno spoke publicly for the first time since suffering a “serious medical emergency” that left him with “significant” second- and third-degree burns to his face, chest, and hands, according to his doctor.
“I suffered serious burns from a gasoline fire,” he said in a statement shared with People. “I’m fine. I just need a week or two to get back on my feet.”
According to a press release from the Burbank Fire Department, which PEOPLE obtained, the accident occurred on November 12 at approximately 12:30 a.m. BFD officials said they arrived at the scene, where they “evaluated and treated an adult male patient” before transporting him. to your local emergency department.
Amy Bennett, a spokesperson for the Grossman-Bern Center, also issued a statement to PEOPLE, confirming that Leno was being treated there after the accident in his garage.
“Jay wants everyone to know he is in a stable condition and receiving treatment … for burns to his face and hands from a petrol accident in his garage over the weekend,” Bennett said. “He has a great sense of humor and is touched by all inquiries regarding his condition and his well wishes. [He] He wants to tell everyone he’s doing a good job and is at “the best burn center in the United States.” “
Related video: Jay Leno’s doctor shares his wife Mavis is “obviously very worried” as he recovers from severe burns
Leno, a well-known car enthusiast and superstar Jay Leno GarageHe was working on a steam engine under a car in his garage when the fire started. The comedian was pulled from under the car before being taken to a burn center and treated for his injuries.
Dr. Peter Grossman, medical director at Grossman Bern Center, said last week that Leno was doing well after undergoing a surgical resection and grafting of his burns.
“Some of the facial burns are a little deeper and a little bit worrisome,” Grossman said. “Currently, there is no evidence of nerve damage.”
The doctor added, “I expect him to make a full recovery. Whether they were a residual from this injury, it’s still too early to tell. I would say his injuries are serious, and his condition is good.”
#Jay #Leno #released #hospital #days #suffering #severe #burns #gasoline #fire #photo