The death of a security guard at the World Cup after he “fallen” while performing his duty at Lusail Stadium | CNN


A Kenyan security guard who fell in the line of duty at Qatar’s Lusail Stadium has died in hospital, his family and officials have confirmed to CNN.

His sister, Anne Wanjiru, said the employer notified the migrant worker’s family on Saturday that John Ngui Kebo, 24, had fallen from the eighth floor of the stadium while on duty.

“We don’t have the money to get justice for him, but we want to know what happened,” she told CNN.

A medical certificate obtained by CNN shows that he was admitted to the intensive care unit (ICU) at Hamad General Hospital in Doha. The document says that Ngoi sustained “severe head injury, facial fractures and pelvic fractures”.

In a statement, the World Cup organizers – the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy – announced Kibo’s death.

The statement added, “We regret to announce that despite the efforts of his medical team, he sadly passed away in hospital on Tuesday, December 13, after being in the intensive care unit for three days.”

“His next of kin have been informed. We send our deepest condolences to his family, colleagues and friends at this difficult time.”

Earlier this week, the commission announced that Kibo had suffered a serious fall in the line of duty.

“The organizers of the Qatari championship are investigating the circumstances that led to the fall quickly and will provide more information pending the outcome of the investigation,” the organization said in its statement.

“We will also work to ensure that his family gets all dues and money owed.”

His medical records showed that he had been unconscious since Saturday and was connected to a machine to help him breathe. A loved one was notified Monday morning of his death.

But the security guard’s family says his Qatari employer, Al Sorayai Security Services, has not explained how he fell or any of the circumstances surrounding his death.

“We want justice. We want to know the cause of his death. They never sent us a picture to show where he fell from or give us any other information,” his sister Wanjiru told CNN.

CNN contacted Al Saraiya Security Services for comment after the guard’s death and has not yet received a response.

In a statement to CNN, the Kenyan embassy in Qatar said it was aware of the matter and “undertakes the necessary consular assistance pending an official communication from the Qatar Supreme Committee and the relevant authorities.”

The guard’s family says he moved to Qatar last November under a contract with Al-Sorayai Security Services.

A WhatsApp message seen by CNN has been sent to teammates at other World Cup stadiums asking for contributions.

It read in part: “He came here to support his family back home but unfortunately his dreams ended today.” “Let’s do something for our beloved comrade.”

He is the second migrant worker to be reported dead since the tournament began in the Gulf country, after another was killed in an accident at a resort used by Saudi Arabia during the group stages.

#death #security #guard #World #Cup #fallen #performing #duty #Lusail #Stadium #CNN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *